Wednesday, May 21, 2014

letters to my students

dear antwan,

Wow! What a year it has been! I think you were in 3 different classes this year, and I think being in my 4th block ended up being horrible for you. for many reasons- tyreke and you are great friends, but you were awful in the same class. ELA is the hardest class for many students because they're behind in reading, and then you had it at the end of the day! It was like a perfect combination of bad luck. and i now i did not make it easier because I always got on you for every little thing. you see, I have seen other students who are good at sports-and they get treated special- teachers bend the rules for them, let them get by without doing homework, all because they think that the sport is what will help the student. that may be true. But letting someone do something like always get water or never do homework - and not being the same toward all the other students- that is not fair. and in the long run, I think it is better not to let someone get arrogant and think they are above the rules. You will think other rules in life don't apply to you then.

I'm not saying this will happen, but i don't want it to happen to you. You seem to be really good at basketball, i just don't want you to think you're going to the NBA- if you do- AWESOME! i will buy a "BEANS" Jersey ;) But if you don't, then what? what do you want to do in life? start your own league for boys and coach? go to college and study business and be a CEO? Great. you should have a plan. And college is the best- at least one of the best- times of your life. you meet awesome people. Maybe the future Mrs. Beans ;)

If you get another horrible teacher like me who writes your name down for not having a pencil or something like that, before you do your scowly face with your lips pouted out, I want you to think, "hey- is this teacher trying to hurt me in the long run or help me?" Most teachers don't secretly hate kids (although my 4th grade teacher, Ms. Mullens, might have). Most do this under-appreciated, under-paying, overly stressful job because we love students and want to influence lives. I wish you all the best Antwan.

love, mrs. smith

No comments:

Post a Comment