Monday, April 5, 2010

banany

I love the internet.

For many reasons, but tonight, for this: FAJITAS BANÁNOVO KOKOSOVO KUŘECÍ.

For some reason, totally unrelated to anything I was eating or doing or reading about on blogs, I thought about a favourite food of mine. Banana chicken fajitas. Before you nay-say the very idea, hear me out.

They are made at a Mexican restaurant in Prague, Czech Republic. It is called Cantina, and for those of you lucky enough to travel to or live in praha, you should go right now and get some.

I spent half my junior year of college in Praha, and it is absolutely the best thing that ever happened to me, after marrying spencer. I miss it all the time, and would go back in a heartbeat if given the chance. For those of you keen on old movies, you'll understand my reference to Sabrina, and her claim, 'I found myself in Paris.' For me, it was finding out a lot about myself, a lot about my God, a lot about heartbreak, and healing, and an amazingly foreign culture and people. Lifelong friendships were forged there. Many hilarious stories were added to my repertoire. Cheap beer was consumed in abundance and lots of good food. Cantina was where we Americanka would go when we couldn't take any more dinners of meat, potatoes and gravy. I made a brave and impulsive decision on our first visit to try the banana-chicken fajitas, and they were so amazingly delicious- unique and exciting- that I never tried anything else.

Funny, I don't think I have yet written about my time in Prague here or in my previous blog, but I am sure it will not be the last.

Maybe one day I will attempt this dish, but for now, I just wanted to share a piece of myself with y'all. It made me so happy tonight to discover that the restaurace is still there, and with a website I can visit whenever I crave a little of my past.


No comments:

Post a Comment