Wednesday, February 2, 2011

I've Got You Babe


If you know what this picture is from, then we must have the same sense of humor. 
I have probably seen Groundhog Day as many times as Phil lives that day, but it never gets old. In fact, it gets better every time I see it. And funnier. If you read this blog, I'm going to sound redundant, but my favourite movie theme is a person getting the chance to change themselves, or live out a different life. Bruce Almighty is one example. School of Rock, The Family Man, Roman Holiday, It's A Wonderful Life... these movies all portray heroes who get the chance to live out a different version of themselves, often changing for the better and ending up with more than they could have hoped for in the beginning. 

I also love Groundhog Day because I can relate to the theme of feeling stuck in a small, touristy town for what seems like an eternity. Only, I haven't learned to ice sculpt or play jazz piano. Every time I watch this, I ask myself, "What would I do if I had some chunk of time to use up?" Speaking foreign languages would be pretty good. One day, I'd be Normal Tara, who speaks English, a little Spanish, and some phrases in French and Czech. The next day, I'd be Linguist Tara, speaking at least twelve languages, and having read most of the major works of literature from each. I'd also eat a LOT of crab drowned in butter.

I am beginning to think that certain seasons of our lives are like our own personal Punxsutawneys. Times and Spaces where God, in His infinite wisdom, holds us still while our little legs are kicking and running in place, and we're beating our heads against the metaphorical wall in desperation. I don't say this to be a downer, or because I resent it. I feel I have been in this 'place' for the past several years, and inklings of the reasoning are beginning to show forth. Not that I can see an end, or know there will be one. Not that I am a more kind or compassionate person, performing CPR on a homeless man in the alley. But I do believe now that there are reasons Why we sometimes struggle in the same place for so long. I think we grow best when we can't see the growth, and when we give up on things ever changing. I also think God has a dry sense of humor. "Maybe God isn't omniscient- maybe He's just been around so long that he knows everything." Blasphemy? Perhaps. But I think He can take a little jab from his restless children now and then while we learn to grow up. 

Happy Groundhog's Day. Here's to learning from the present and hoping for a new day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment